Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I have gotten a lot done this week, even though there isn't much in the way of tangible objects to show for it. My main accomplishment was actually getting a small light tent set up for object photography. I still have some fine tuning to do -- I need better background material and a bigger sheet for the tent -- but the hard part is finished. Now I need to practice!

Just to test it out, I threw in these parts of a doll I am working on. This is Pam Grose's "Female" -- easily the most complicated doll I have ever attempted. By the way, her leg isn't really that wrinkley. I tried to bend the leg to fit it into the tent and it didn't work very well.

I haven't even started the head yet...

I have also begun working toward a long-held dream: I want to learn to paint. The Silverton Art Association is offering a Beginning Portrait Painting Class for 5 weeks this fall, so I decided to take it. Last week we learned how to lay down a grid to transfer our portrait to the canvas. I am attempting to copy Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring." I've done this sort of drawing before, so this week's homework was a piece of cake. Fun!

This morning we finally got to start painting. Here's what I have so far. When class ended, I couldn't believe that 3 hours had passed so quickly.

I think I am in love with the smell of oil paint!

5 comments:

Judi W. said...

Wow - that painting is fantastic! I think I'll just quit my art class now. You are most certainly multi-talented !!

Kai said...

Absolutely AMAZING, Judi! I'm in awe of your talent! I can't paint a fence post, much LESS a portrait! This is simply wonderful! Clap, clap, clap ...!

Linda Fleming said...

You painted that this morning? And you haven't painted before? Wow! You should really pursue painting - seriously! You have a real natural talent.
Hugs-
Linda F from FL

Anonymous said...

Amazing work Judi. Hope you continue with it. You are doing wonders.
hugs
Shashi

Heather said...

Wonderful work! The smell is addictive, isn't it??? : )