Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Goal Achieved!


I did it -- I solved a 3-star puzzle! The Oregonian, our daily paper, started carrying these things a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to solve anything more difficult than a 1 star level puzzle until yesterday, when I completed my first 2-star. And today, a 3-star!! Woo Hoo!

In case you couldn't tell, I am quite perked up about this. I had started to worry that perhaps my brain was turning to mush now that I'm not working anymore. It's comforting to know that the brain cells can still put out a bit of work when called on to do so.

I should be embarassed about spending so much time on a silly game, but they are quite addicting. Oh dear... On the other hand, spending all day every day alone gives me lots of time to play. Fortunately, the corn harvest will be finished by this weekend and Jake will be around more. I miss the man these days!

I got Lydia started on her cross stitch project last night. I haven't done that type of needlework in... can it really be 10 years? So I dug out Alice's unfinished Christmas stocking to demonstrate on, and to keep her company. The delight on Alice's face when she saw what I was working on made me feel a little guilty for not finishing it sooner. After all, everybody else in the family has one of this series made by me. If I settle down to do it, I should be able to finish it easily by this Christmas though.

It's just that my eyesight is simply not what it used to be. I've always been able to talk myself out of buying a magnifying lamp, but the time may be at hand when I won't be able to get much more done without one. And think how much more detail I will be able to add to my sculpts and repaints! Besides, the nice ones look pretty good, and the living room is too dark anyway.

I enjoy finding my justifications where I can.

No comments: