Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Slell Slice, chapter 1

I gave myself a kick in the pants last night to get going, mix up some clay, and start sculpting on that cool shell slice Linda sent me. My plan is to fill in each opening with a face, each with a different expression and gazing in different directions. I began by filling in the back of the slice with clay so that I would have a sturdy base to work on, then, beginning at the top, I started sculpting faces, baking in between each one. Each of these three is completely sculpted as even the largest one is too small to use even my tiniest beads as eyes.


So far, so good. I am especially happy with the color of clay I mixed up as it blends nearly perfectly with the shell. One half a bar each of Fimo Soft in Light Flesh, White, and Translucent combined into exactly the delicate pink shade I was looking for. ( I don't often get my colors mixed right on the first try -- woo hoo!)


I want to use some bead eyes in the next face. I have some great little malachite rounds that will make wonderful green eyes.

8 comments:

MaryO said...

This looks like fun, Judi! I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this one!

Sue said...

Wow, Judi - I'm really impressed. Such attention to detail, and I think it's going to be stunning. I can't help but wonder how you could add a "pearly" element to this.

BumbleVee said...

ooooh it's so tiny.....

Karen Becker said...

Judi, I can't believe how well you can do such tiny work!! Can't wait to see it finished!
Karen

Jennifer Rose said...

ooh very cool! and a great idea having the faces in the openings :D

Sprite said...

Very cool Judi! Can't wait to see more progress on it :) Have you tried the nohole microbeads? you can always paint over them if they're not the right color. :)

Hugs
Sprite

Serena Lewis said...

WOW! Very tiny work indeed. This piece is going to be quite spectacular when finished ~

jewel said...

Beautiful can not wait to see the finished product. and loving the color too.