Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Too Busy to Post

I have been scrambling this week to finish up as many salable items as possible. This weekend is our church's annual Holiday Bazaar. This year I have once again thrown caution AND sanity to the wind and bought a table. I don't know why I put myself through this...

I guess if I were honest I would admit that it IS fun. My daughters each take a day to man the table with me and they say it's one of the most memorable things we do together over the holidays.

Still...

I am always nervous when I put my work "out there." I want people to like my stuff! OK, I want people to BUY my stuff. It is so HARD to smile as you hear (once again!) someone say "I could make it myself for less than that." Sigh...

This year, in addition to my usual jewelry, I am adding a few other items. These barbies were all rescued from the Goodwill. I stripped off their factory paint, repainted the faces, then gave them new costumes and accessories. It is a lot of fun to do, and each one done gives me ideas for half a dozen more.

So it goes!

This doll on the right is the first girl I did. I don't know if I can sell her as she took hours and hours to do. There is an embarassing amount of work in her outfit alone. I learned a lot from doing her though, and I am much better and faster at the process now.







These two on the left are a pair of former My Scene Barbies repainted to represent birthstone fairies. The blue one is March/Aquamarine, and the purlpe one is February/Amythest. I am especially happy with their wings. Since I started reading up on this process, I have learned about a zillion new (to me!) ways to make wings!

My pride and joy is this former My Scene Chelsea. Her tail was formed by first amputating her legs at the knee, and then covering them with Magic Sculpt 2-part epoxy clay. The scales were sculpted with a drinking straw, and there are pearls embedded in the clay.

Her bodice is made of free motion machine needle lace, and her jewelry is made of fresh water pearls and Swarovski crystals. She is VERY striking in real life -- one of these days I am going to have to learn to take photos without the flash. The glare just spoils everything.

OK, back to the trenches. Thursday is set up day. I'll take a picture of my table and post it then.

1 comment:

Judi W. said...

Love these Barbies! The wings on Amythest are awesome. I wish you lots of luck at your bazaar!