Thursday, November 10, 2005

I received this pin doll in a private swap with a friend from Doll Street -- I am in love with her face! AND the colors of her costume, AND her head wrap.

Of course her name is "Frieda", LOL.

I am beginning to think that I am getting the knack of working with the polymer clays. It satisfies something in me at a level that even spinning and weaving can't quite match, that imperative need inside that drives me to have something in my hands.

Always.

I still have a lot to learn about the finer points of sculpture, but so far my intuition has served me pretty well.

This is my second sculpture. He is made of a 50/50 blend of Translucent and Pearl Premo Sculpey. The photo doesn't quite show how luminous this combination turned out to be; it is lovely, and perfect for a Unicorn. His spots are made of the tiniest of dots of Silver Premo pressed into place and kind of smeared in. They look as if they are really part of his coat, and not just added on.


Here's another view of him.

His mane and tail are tibetan lamb rooted into the unbaked clay, and his eyes are faceted black crystal beads. He is built over an armature of 24 g copper wire and tinfoil, which was set into a block of marbled clay to hold it in position and then baked before I began sculpting.

As usual, he took longer to make than I anticipated, but I am very pleased with him. I haven't thought of a name for him yet though. Perhaps his mane and tail are too long? I simply can't bear to cut it!

I wish my hair would grow like that...

And then finally, there are these little guys. I made up a bunch of them and I hope to sell them at our church's Holiday Bazaar next week along with the jewelry I usually bring. I'm not too optimistic about my chances of selling as much of the jewelry as I have in the past -- people just don't seem to have as much money to play with these days -- so I am hoping that some small inexpensive doodads like these little ornaments will do better for me. It's all in fun anyways. I don't know how I would hold up under the pressure of *needing* to make money doing what I do...

No comments: