Tuesday, April 17, 2007

In its December 2003 issue, Bead & Button magazine featured the work of Sherry Serafini, a wonderful bead artist who specializes in THE most fabulous beaded accessories. Included with the article was the instructions for making a bead embroidered collar in her style. Of course I had to try one of my own.

My version features six small amethyst cabochons accented by various other small stones, pearls, and seed beads. It is more decidedly blue and purple than this photo shows. The actual embroidery went quickly -- I couldn't put it down! -- but my enthusiasm waned when I got to where I had to finish off the edges. The collar was set aside until such time as I could face such a tedious task.


Last week I decided to clean off my beading desk. Heaven knows it needed it, as I could no longer work there for the debris scattered over the entire surface. As I excavated the mess, I rediscovered several old projects that are worth completing, one of them being this collar. I put on a movie and decided to tackle that darned edge finish.

It actually took about 5 movies to complete the task, bead-by-stitch-by-bead, but last night I finished it, and now it's ready for the fun part... the fringe! I have been playing with combinations of beads and stones that might work, and I'm just about ready to thread up and get started, while sitting at my neat and tidy bead desk.

Do you think I can keep it that way? It's SO much more pleasant to work there, now that it's not such a disaster area.

8 comments:

Kai said...

This is TRULY the most beautiful piece I've ever seen! I'm just sitting here with my big Comanche mouth open, and MaryBear is looking over my shoulder with her big LAKOTA mouth open! To say it's glorious is just ridiculously understated, Judi! You will absolutely HAVE to have Jake take a photo of you wearing it when you've added the fringe! Please! You are a master at beading! I am SO bowing to you!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kai. The collar is fantastic. My question is what are you going to wear it with? You're going to have to sew something because there aren't many tops that accommodate a separate collar any more.

Does it have to have fringe, though? It's so elegant as it is.

:) Jennifer

Judi W. said...

That is a true work of art. Period.

Anonymous said...

for a lack of any other word Wow! was the first one that popped into my head.Just glorious! Wow!

Yvette said...

Wow I agree with everyone else. What an amazing piece of work. It is beautiful!!

Linda Fleming said...

Judi, that is gorgeous! I knew you were a whiz at embellishing, but this is truly gorgeous and exceptional work. What is the size of this and what are you going to do with it- something very special I hope!
Linda F from FL

Jacque Uetz said...

Judi your work is amazing, this piece is just beautiful..I thought I was the queen of embellishments you just took the lead roflol!!Imagine to do something like that on a doll!!

MaryO said...

It's lovely, Judi! Another feather in your cap! I adore that kind of work but don't have the patience to do it. I hope you'll do more!