Friday, April 06, 2007

Getting it Right at Last



I have been on a baking binge since I returning home from my mother's funeral. My baking is usually successful, so I was surprised as well as frustrated when my attempts at creating a sour dough starter were spectacular failures. One attempt resulted in a lovely bowl of mold, but no sourdough...

On the 4th try, I used the instructions from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking, and was rewarded with a nice crock of fragrant, bubbly, yeasty sour dough starter.

And so today I was at last able to bake sourdough from my own starter. Don't you wish you could smell these loaves, hot from the oven as they are??

7 comments:

Jacque Uetz said...

Judi , did you know my favorite thing to eat is bread, so you "quit it" with these bread pictures roflol I even opened the pic's to temp me more, you are wrong I think I did smell and taste it!! Beautiful perfect loaves!!yum yum!!!!

Kai said...

I'm in total agreement with Jacque! I definitely could smell that glorious bread! TORTURE! I am positively salivating. Sigh ... your house must smell like a corner of Heaven!

Judi said...

Nothing is better than the smell of baking bread! I used to have a crock of 100 year old starter (got some from a friend) but I let it die. Are you going to keep yours going?

Kerry said...

Your bread is beautiful, I am drooling and like Jacque and Kai I swear I can smell it!! Maybe you could send us all a piece? LOL

Sue said...

Judi,

I just pulled out 'paska'/Ukrainian Easter bread from my oven.....I think I might get your drift about smell. Dang, wish you lived closer, I'd exchange a loaf! Sue McF.

MaryO said...

It looks divine, Judi, and I'm sure tasted just that way!kmdw

Jan D said...

Oh MY!! What dont you do?? and you do it all so well...I know your mom is smiling down at you and saying THATS MY GIRL!!!I am afraid I did like Judi and let my starter die..(with my get up and do ability teehee)