Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I had an idea...

I have been wondering just how I was going to set all the dominoes I have been stamping. Necklaces? Key rings? Parachute clips? Just as a pendant that customers could hang themselves? I may do a few of each yet, BUT ...

... while looking for something else, I found Chinese Knots for Beaded Jewellery, (sic) a book I had nearly forgotten I owned. It contains instructions for a bunch of decorative knots. The diagrams are extremely easy to read, and once my fingers got the hang of what they were doing, I found even the more complicated knots are easier than they look, as long as I pay attention.



The red knot was the most fun to tie. The little blue one... well, it looks like the picture in the book, but I am still not quite sure how exactly that one works! The 2 colored one on the right was only a little more difficult because it involved working with more ends. It's my favorite so far.

I practiced using some of my not-so-favorite dominoes. Now I wish I had been brave enough to use my favorites. I really like this look. If I can find a source of nice rattail cord that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I am going to play around with this some more.

Once I get dinner started, I will be eager to try a few more new knots!

7 comments:

Judi said...

These are FANTASTIC! The knots just give the necklaces a whole new dimension. The beads are a great added touch too. The red one is my favorite. These look like fancy jewelry now! Try Fire Mountain Gems for rattail - that's where I got mine and I think the price was pretty decent.

P.S. You have some great stamps!

Linda said...

Ok, I love the domino necklaces...great knots...great idea.
Love the latest paper doll too.
You a one busy lady
Auntie Linda

Kerry said...

Oh I love these Judi! The knots are a great added attraction too. I want to make some now, wonder if the grandkids have any dominoes laying around I coud swipe, ha ha!!

Linda said...

Very cool, Judi! The fancy knots really set them off.
Linda F from FL

Kai said...

Beautiful! I thought of you yesterday because I came across a book of Chinese Knotting! I told you privately already, but I'll say it again, these are absolutely lovely! Each one has been made unique by the addition of the beautifully knotted cording!

Fran said...

Judi,
Your Domino necklaces are fantastic. I love them.
Love & Hugs
Fran

Fran said...

Judi,
Love your Domino necklaces. Great job!!! Your paper dolls are wonderful too.
Love & Hugs
Fran