Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Photo of the Week - "Things with Wings"

Lots of winged things around here! Unfortunately, there has also been an awful lot of rain - not the kind of weather to make me take my camera outside for a look around. However, on Monday evening we were visiting my in-laws and the skies cleared up enough to spend some time on their deck. My mother-in-law has several bird feeders and houses around, so it wasn't long before the winged things began to appear.


They weren't too pleased to see us however, especially this daddy sparrow. The bug in his mouth is intended for his chicks that were chirping their little heads off inside the birdhouse, but he wouldn't go in as long as we were sitting there.   We could see momma sparrow hovering nearby with a bug in her mouth as well, but she didn't dare to come even this close.


There is usually a little flock of nearly a dozen finches at the seed feeder, but this little one was the only one bold enough to approach. He didn't look too happy to see us and didn't stick around either.  Sigh...


Fortunately for the birds, it soon got too cool for us to remain outside, so we retired indoors and they were able to go about their business in peace once more.

In other news, I have replaced baby mer's hair with a different color and sculpted momma mer's arms.  Unfortunately the clay cracked at the shoulder joint so I will have to repair that.  I am sculpting her tail fin tonight - it will all be over soon!

5 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Your bird photos are lovely, Judi. I love watching birds in nature. What a treat. I have to upload my theme photos to my blog today. I've had the pics sitting in my camera but have been busy with kids and turf contractors over the past couple of days.

It will be interesting to see the changes you've made with your merbaby piece.

BumbleVee said...

You still managed some winged things.... that's great!

Arrrgghhhh....clay! !! we are just about as bad as Serena..with her varnish..... ya hate it...ya love it...ya hate it once again..... we keep plodding on......

Shashi Nayagam said...

Send some of that rain over here. We need it. However it is lovely to see birds in the garden.

Healing Woman said...

Very anxious to see the finished creation of your mermaid and merbaby.

MaryO said...

Aww, that's a pretty sparrow. I don't believe we have that variety over here.