Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Photo of the Week - "Black and White"

It is my month to choose our themes - for this week I chose "Black and White". I have lately become fascinated by the artistic potential of black and white images - who knew there was so much you could do beyond removing the color?


My roses are in full bloom right now (or they would be, if it would ever stop raining long enough to quit damaging the buds. Sigh...)  I photographed this bud this morning and then started playing around with the image in Photoshop Elements.   I love how taking color out of the mix really plays up the lines and movement of the petals.


 
I snapped this photo of my daughter last week while playing with the super zoom on my new pocket camera, and just for fun I started playing with it in black and white mode. There is so much you can do in Elements with black and white!



I never even noticed the lens flare in the lower left of the photo until I rendered it in black and white.  Too fun, and so much left yet to learn!

4 comments:

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Judi,

Your photos turned out really nice!
What a beautiful rose and the photo of your daughter is lovely.
Hugs
What is the theme for next week?

BumbleVee said...

I took the photos in B & W....but, I now need to learn something in a photoshop type of program so I can do other "stuff"....but, I don't have photoshop on this computer...and am actually quite dunce like with things of this nature...and....also... honestly....I'm lazy....there, I've said it. I admit.... I'm just a lazy person....

Healing Woman said...

It sounds like you are a curious person who loves to learn. That will probably take you very far in life. These shots are more dramatic than the colors ones would have been. Beautiful picture of your daughter.

Serena Lewis said...

Fantastic shots and theme, Judi! It was definitely a great learning experience.