I did it! I finally figured out a way to make a photo collage with the transparency effect I was after. I was so excited to get home from work yesterday - my base collage was finished and would be dry enough to work on and I couldn't wait to apply the main photo. It went on MUCH more easily than I expected, and even though there were a few imperfections in the surface, they smoothed out beautifully as it dried.
As promised, the image dried nearly opaque, and of course I couldn't find the varnish I was pretty sure was around here somewhere... Off I went to the hardware store during my round of errands this afternoon for some varnish, and I didn't even wait to unpack my groceries when I got home - I HAD to see what would happen to my canvas.
The results were just what I had dreamed of. It was a little bit like watching a magic trick, seeing the images reappear under the now-transparent main image as I stroked on the varnish.
This project has meant a lot to me. For one thing, I learned that I CAN develop a process on my own without having instructions to follow.
More importantly though, I rescued a photograph I thought I had destroyed in the editing process. This piece is on its way to the frame shop as soon as it dries, and I will display it with a great deal of pride.
I am actually feeling a little giddy, LOL! What a great way to start the weekend.