Friday, May 07, 2010

Too Excited to Wait for the Varnish to Dry!

I did it! I finally figured out a way to make a photo collage with the transparency effect I was after. I was so excited to get home from work yesterday - my base collage was finished and would be dry enough to work on and I couldn't wait to apply the main photo. It went on MUCH more easily than I expected, and even though there were a few imperfections in the surface, they smoothed out beautifully as it dried.


As promised, the image dried nearly opaque, and of course I couldn't find the varnish I was pretty sure was around here somewhere... Off I went to the hardware store during my round of errands this afternoon for some varnish, and I didn't even wait to unpack my groceries when I got home - I HAD to see what would happen to my canvas.


The results were just what I had dreamed of. It was a little bit like watching a magic trick, seeing the images reappear under the now-transparent main image as I stroked on the varnish.


This project has meant a lot to me.  For one thing, I learned that I CAN develop a process on my own without having instructions to follow.


More importantly though, I rescued a photograph I thought I had destroyed in the editing process. This piece is on its way to the frame shop as soon as it dries, and I will display it with a great deal of pride.


I am actually feeling a little giddy, LOL!  What a great way to start the weekend.

7 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Congratulations on a job well done, Judi! You have every right to be proud of yourself....great photo too!

Judi W. said...

Whoot! It came out exceptionally well! I suppose that is the stuff you ordered in the mail that you used to make the transparency. I have yet to order any! I love the photos - how old were you guys?

BumbleVee said...

good for you Judi.... and perfectly understandable that you should be so excited and feel darn proud of your accomplishments!

I love it when something new I'm trying comes together how I hope it will... .... so can cheer you on just thinking about my own excitement when it actually happens.

MaryO said...

I thought I had commented on this one already, but I guess I told you elsewhere how much I like this! It's a lovely photo of the two of you and you've done a great job with collaging it!

Healing Woman said...

Judi, Congratulations! There is nothing like the rush you get after accomplishing something you have experimented with. I love when this leads to a new series in my work. I'll bet you come up with some amazing collages, all because of the time you took to experiment.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Judi on your accomplishment! I know what you mean I felt the same way when I did the face sculpt for my moms angel!!

Kathy said...

I love how this turned out. I have looked for the technique for quite a while. I wonder if you would share how you did the transparency. I found your site today and a once again hopeful search. I too like to have directions and materials to help try something new. Thank you.
Kathy Meritt kmeritt@verizon.net