Sunday, April 25, 2010

Up, up, and Away

I don't know how common it is to see hot air balloons in other parts of the world, but they aren't unusual here. It's early in the season, so this morning there were only these three.



This one drifted close enough for me to hear the roar of the heat jet and to exchange waves with the pilot.  I've never seen another hot air balloon with quite this shape before.  Isn't it odd?


Unfortunately, it was early and cold and I was bare footed or I would have taken the time to check the auto focus on this shot. Oops... On the other hand, see how close we are to getting real green around here again! Yay!!


I wonder if I would ever be brave enough to take a ride in one.

Over the past two days I have finally had time to really focus on making some art, and oh my, that feels so good.  I finished my challenge piece and got it photographed and entered - I won't know for a few days how it does, but I will put up photos when I am allowed. I also finished sculpting the last face on my sea spirits shell and have been experimenting with some collage techniques. It's been kind of a creative thrill ride for me this weekend - I'll put up some more photos once my camera battery is recharged.

5 comments:

Healing Woman said...

We used to see them let up the hot air ballons when we lived in St. Louis. It is very noisy when they are just getting up but so beutiful. You are lucky to be able to see them gliding through the sky.

Anonymous said...

We get them as lot here too, I love to watch them and always wanted to go up in one even though I am afraid of heights. Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving encouragement (:

BumbleVee said...

I'm going up in one some day too...and, like Kerry...I don't really like heights...but...I'm a goin'!

We used to have them go right over the house and quite often...especially early on Sunday mornings. They changed the rules about letting them go too close to the city after a few of them tried some touchdowns in dangerous areas... and also one had a run in with a tall building... hardly see them anymore...they must get up further out of town instead of the park right near us now....

I have a picture...somewhere....of one shaped like a dinosaur...I will look through my old pics and see if I can find it...by old...I mean...actual snapshots...there are boxes of them so done expect to see it anytime like... erm.... soon...

There is a major hot air balloon show in a town not far from us ...I must try to find out more info and perhaps try to go ....

MaryO said...

We don't see hot air balloons where we live now, but had acquaintances who were balloonists when we lived across the bridge. And when my daughter lived in Princeton, NJ they used to land in a field near her house, so we got good close-up views of them. Exciting!
I can't wait to see the pictures of your current work. I hope some of your creative energy rubs off on me!

Jennifer Rose said...

there was one last year that you could go up on, but might be a bit early for it this year if it comes back.
and what an odd looking triangle shaped one, almost like a UFO :p