Monday, April 26, 2010

Experiments

I have absolutely fallen in love with the work of Michelle Caplan.  I couldn't find any tutorials to duplicate her techcnique, but it didn't look so hard so I thought I'd give it a shot. So far I haven't managed it.   I have to say that experimenting is not really my thing - I am lazy enough to prefer to work from a materials list and a set of instructions.  Sigh...

This piece was my first try.  I didn't want to mess with an image transfer, so I used a transparency sheet and just glued it to the canvas.  It didn't adhere very well - the white stuff around the main image is crackle paste to seal down the edges - and the surface is unpleasantly shiny.  I am actually surprised that I was able to get a photograph without any glare.


For my second attempt I printed my main photo on a Jacquard product called Extrav Organza. The results are closer to what I want, but still not quite right, which is too bad because I absolutely adore the under collage on this one, even though I didn't add as much color as I thought. (If you click on the image to enlarge it, you can see some of the fun things I found to use.) I knew I was in trouble when I saw how much ink seeped through the fabric onto the backing paper. It just isn't dark enough to show as much as I wanted it to do. 

So far I have learned that I need to use a canvas no larger than my image, and also that I don't like round canvases. If only I knew what she uses to print her main images on! Back to the drawing board...

3 comments:

Judi W. said...

Her work is great - I watched the video on her blog and it shows that the background is straight collage with the person's image over the whole thing. It sure doesn't say how she creates the transparent image though! I had to write to the company whose magazine she had a article in to see if they had any back issues, lol. I like how your round piece came out - it's pretty cool!

Judi W. said...

I asked about this on my Facebook page .. and someone suggested Lazertran paper ... check it out .. sounds interesting!

Healing Woman said...

I actually like the round canvas. When I first viewed it, I thought you had placed images onto a plate. I did this a few years ago. I used a clear glass plate and used gel medium to the back of plate and then put a coat of acrylic on back and then mod-podged the back. They make beautiful plates but you have to be sure not to put them in the dishwasher. You can add absolutely anything in the way of designs/pictures/family shots etc...we used our trip pictures.

I'll check out the link you gave to this woman's work.
Thanks