Saturday, October 24, 2009

Another little canvas

These little 4"x4" square canvases are so much fun - imagine creating an entire painting on a surface the size of the palm of your hand. This latest one was an experiment with several new techniques on a subject I love - nautilus shells. Their geometric perfection fascinates me!

I first drew in the lines of the shell and it's chambers, then drew over them again with a clear dimensional glue. I painted the image, then shaded it with micaceous iron oxid (that is some cool stuff!) and them added the iridescence using a large flaky opal glitter. For a pleasant change, I got exactly the effect I was after - now that's a great feeling.

When everything was dry, I applied some heat activated foil in a copper color to the raised outline. I managed to burn my fingers in the process, but it was fun anyway. That stuff could prove addictive. Oh dear...


I wish now that I had used copper rather than gold inside the chamber sections, but I have some more of these little canvases to play with. I think I just might make a series of them in different colors.

6 comments:

Courtney Short said...

that is so pretty.. I keep seeing you doing those canvases... and when I go to hobby lobby they start calling to me.. I would love to get a few and just play.. Im not a painter or anything - but i bet it would be fun to experiment :-)

Jennifer Rose said...

really cool patterns here :D hope your fingers are ok!

BumbleVee said...

I haven't a clue what you are talking about with most of it...but, it is lovely....

Jean Benrard said...

BEAUTIFUL ! CREATIVE! Love your canvases JudiA ! I think a wall collage of 4 x 4's would be great piece of wall art.
Have fun!
Jean

MaryO said...

This is my favorite so far. The copper would have been nice, maybe next time?????

HElen said...

How did I missed this one? Such a wonderful piece! Love it!