Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finished Jewelry

Like many families across the country, we have been faced with rising expenses and static income. In an effort to save a little money, I committed myself "no new art supply purchases" this month. I haven't felt deprived yet as I went "shopping" in my stash instead, including looking over patterns and tutorials that were paid for and never attempted.


This Woven Cuff Bracelet is from a tutorial by Eni Oken, one of my favorite jewelry designers. All of the stones, charms, and wire -- every last one -- were left over from other projects. I bought the silver fish charms a looooong time ago to make earrings, but I could never get them to look right. It was so gratifying to finally find a project to put them in -- they weren't cheap! It is amazingly comfortable to wear, even for me, the "Queen of Those Who Fidget with their Bracelets".

Let's see... there's amethyst, amber, kyanite, rhodochrosite, jade, turquoise, denim lapis, pink quartz, carnelian, moonstone, peridot, citrine, aquamarine... it's a real show-stopper and goes with just about everything.



I bought the pattern for this Woven Hearts Necklace as soon as I saw on her blog that she had released it. The process is a little fussy, but it went together quickly. I was able to complete it in two evenings' work time. The focal stone is ametrine, a lovely blend of yellow and purple. I intend to thread it onto another chain eventually as this one is too heavy for the work, but in the meantime it's wearable as it is.

There are so many other design possibilities for this technique too! Until I can purchase some more wire, I will be sketching out some ideas of my own -- that ought to keep me busy for a while.

I have one more piece started (Eni's "Chaos Necklace"), but it's still in pieces and not ready for it's photo op yet. If it turns out as planned, it too is going to be a new favorite. Isn't Eni's stuff beautiful?

8 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh wow this bracelet is awesome. You are a woman of many talents!

Kai said...

You MUST have heard me bragging on you the other day! Every time the subject of jewelry making arises, I comment on YOUR jewelry. It's amazing! This bracelet is just wonderful as is the wired necklace! And three cheers for shopping in your own stash! I've been doing that lately, too, & it's really surprising how MUCH we all accrue and forget we have! I think I will throw out a challenge on my blog for all of us to take a page from your book, my friend!

Judi W. said...

You DO make the most amazing jewelry! Just lovely, lovely pieces. Especially taken with the necklace. So intricate.

Shashi Nayagam said...

You are so creative and talented so I gave you an award check out my blog

Courtney Short said...

love the pieces.. my wire-wrapping skills aren't as advanced as yours yet - but I love to see what others can do with it.. I am partial to pieces with all sorts of colors like that - makes it more versitile.

Linda Fleming said...

Gorgeous work, Judi! Doesn't matter what materials or medium you work with- you blow my socks!

Sue said...

Oh, Judi...I have bracelet lust now! I think I have to shop for a pattern, even if I don't shop for supplies!

Interesting that you've been cutting back. I made a comment to my Oldtimer on the first of this month that I was putting a moratorium on all art/craft purchases. I've stuck to it through the entire month, with one teeny exception. Next month, I'm putting a moratorium on book purchases!

BumbleVee said...

Very beautiful necklace... shopping in the stash proved worthwhile...