Sunday, March 29, 2009

Home Again

I can't believe that here we are, home again from our little coast expedition already. It was SO nice to get a change of scene, even if only for a few days. The weather was dreadful, but the company was wonderful and we all brought along plenty of other things to do in case of rain.

I spent most of our down time sitting at the table looking out over the ocean playing with my watercolor pencils. I finished a color sample chart and began working on a portrait of my mother. My reference photo is a faded old snapshot taken around 1950 - she would have been 12 or so. I attempted it in oils a while ago, but I am having much more success this time with a smaller format. So far, so good!


Guilt-free sleeping in AND unlimited creative time... my favorite kind of vacation!

6 comments:

MaryO said...

Welcome back, Judi! I'm glad you enjoyed your get-away. Your portrait of your mother is coming along beautifully! You already have an excellent likeness.

Jennifer Rose said...

the portrait is coming along really nicely :D

Jacque Uetz said...

You are doing a great job with your portrait,Glad you had a nice restful time, you were missed..

Linda Fleming said...

Love that sketch of your mother- wow! I can't wait to see it when you are finished.

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate, but what a treat to be able to look out over the ocean as you worked.

Carla said...

Glad you had a good time. The portrait looks great.

Karen Becker said...

Judi, that portrait of your mother is fantastic. You are so fricking talented it amazes me!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Karen