Monday, February 25, 2008

My Wing Chair

Waaaaaaaaaaayyy back last October, I signed up for a class with Jean Bernard to learn how she makes her fabulous Fantasy Chairs. However, my Artist's ADD kicked in before I got too far into it, and then I broke my arm... and well, anyway, I am finally working on it again. I got quite a bit accomplished this morning, but my hand is screaming "Enough!", so I will let the apoxy set up and get back to work on it again later.

This chair is being made for a specific doll, but once I got started on it, whimsy took over and it flew off in a VERY different direction from Jean's wonderful forest-y creation. Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "wing chair", doesn't it? I don't know if there is enough contrast in this photo to see them all, but there are 6 faces on the front...


... and 4 (so far) on the back. I am also designing a headpiece for the top set of faces, but I will be sculpting that out of polymer clay, as I need more detail than the apoxy take. I can't wait to get out my fibers and Paverpol and start embellishing!


Earlier this week I finally got around to opening the envelope of charms from FDA's charm swap. Aren't they great?? I put a few of them on a chain, but my hand isn't up to any more fine maneuvering today, so I'll see if I can get them onto their doll tomorrow. The little pink and white purse in the upper right is made of paper and is SO cute. It held one of the charms -- I'd love to get my hands on the template.


And finally, because I could work on her without pain, I finished my "Stress Angel" from a pattern by Jacque Uetz. Her skirt is actually a little drawstring bag to be filled with emergency chocolate. I LOVE this idea!

9 comments:

Judi W. said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you .. for being able to link to large photos of your chair. What can I say? The chair is unreal - it is absolutely the BEST of any of the chairs made in class so far - seriously. And it's not even barely started. I think the wings are inspired. I absolutely cannot wait to see where you take this chair.

Linda Fleming said...

Judi, I am loving that chair- wow! I think this is best chair I have seen come out of that class- so original and creative. I can't wait to see it finished.

Your Stress Angel is adorable. Wasn't that a fun doll to make? I'm sure Jacque will be so proud of what you did with her pattern.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh wow what can I say Judi what has alreday been said!! This is awesome. You certainly are flying high up and above us all what a great chair this is turning out.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh dear I was so gobsmacked by the chair that I forgot to mention the other little eye candies you have on show. They are all so very pretty. I love the doll Jacque certainly comes up with lovely little patterns

Anonymous said...

I agree it is an awesome chair, I will be waiting impatiently to see it finished!! Also love the choclate keeper!!

Yvette said...

Your chair is really awesome!! I just love the wings!! It truly is magical!!

Your stress angel is darling!

Jacque Uetz said...

Wow wow wow it has all been said!! This is chair is fantaaaastic!!!
You little stinker ,wish I had thought of it roflol!! Choc girl is sooo cute!!

Kai said...

Judi, it's so great to see you creating again! I know it was driving you bonkers when you were in that cast! Wonderful chair! Jean is going to FREAK OUT when she sees what a prize pupil you are! She'll LOVE it! I'm going to keep checking back and see what new additions you make!

Sharon-NZ said...

woweee that chair is superb, I cant wait to see it finished, how clever, wings and all...just awesome