Saturday, September 01, 2007

WIP's updated

I've been grabbing every available moment to work on these dolls... this one has 2 layers of gesso, and 2 layers of paint, each of which needed to dry and be sanded before the next could be added. That takes time! Fortunately, each layer went on pretty quickly, and I have plenty of opportunity to let things dry undisturbed now that I am working. sigh...




I just did her face today. One last step yet... I have decided to give her a crackle finish. We are going to the State Fair with the girls this afternoon though, so I will do that tonight when we get home. I wanted to get this "before" shot up before I added the crackle though, so I can observe the change without having to rely on memory.

Her name is "Nancy Anne" in memory of my mother. Mom would have loved this doll.

"Simply Charming" is coming along as well. I had to make an emergency run to Michael's for another tube of Texture Magic for her hair, but I am satisfied with the way it looks now. It was just too skimpy before. I don't know if you can see them in the photo, but I have embedded little flat backed Swarovski crystals in her curls. The effect is very charming...



I had made her a set of sleeves before, but they were too skimpy, so I took them off. I don't dare touch her now though until her hair is completely dry -- I've already squished one of her curls... Another set is in the works and ready to add, and then all I need to do is add the embellishments to her base and give her some charms to display and she will be done.

Could it be possible... will I *really* be able to finish TWO dolls in one week??? we shall see. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both dolls are wonderful!! I love the crackle stuff too so can't wait to see her after you do it but right now she is stunning. The charmed doll is great too and I love her hair, can't wait to see the finishing touches to them both.

Jennifer A. said...

"Simply Charming" is cute, but Nancy Anne takes the cake. I love her shoes.

Linda Fleming said...

Good for you making progress on your WIPs! Both dolls are going to be well worth the effort.

Judi W. said...

I love the Charmed One - her colors look different on her base - did you add more to it? Her hair is great - that stuff isn't easy to work with. Can't wait to see the next photos of her! Must feel good to get so much done on both dolls!

Courtney Short said...

i absolutely LOVE them.. and with my new love of vintage I am so excited to see what you do with Nancy Ann .. what would you be selling her for if you do sell her??

Kai said...

Nancy Ann is a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mother. Really - your mom looked like a film star to me. She had that Betsy Drake sweetness about her face & I know you are WAY too young to know who Betsy Drake was, but trust me - a BEAUTY; girl-next-door type! Your doll is coming along really well and Simply Charming is EXACTLY what her name implies!