I spent a good part of yesterday finishing the sculpting portion of my Tree Lady and adding some texture elements to give her skin more of a bark-like texture. Tonight I plan on adding tiny touches of apoxie here and there to flesh out her hands and cover up some flaws in her branches, but other than that, I think he is ready for her first coat of paint!
I am just really REALLY relieved that I don't have to twist up any more leaf clusters. I estimate that I used about 10 strands of chips, both gem and glass, as well as 2 spools of 26 gauge wire. If I had known what I was letting myself in for when I started, I probably wouldn't have given her leaves, LOL.
This girl is BIG, about 19" from bottom to the tip of the tallest branch.
I think I am going to add a few more leaf cascades around her face, but I want to see what she looks like painted first.
I love the way her root system turned out, especially once I added the banana silk fibers to tone down the "sculpted" look of the clay. The effect is subtle, but it really made her come alive.
A few years ago I would have been too paralyzed by the fear of ruining her to touch her with a paintbrush, but I have learned that layers are the way to go, and if all else fails, there is always starting over, LOL.
Wish me luck!