Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Rediscovering Polymer Clay

My first "pure" sculpture (no molds used of any kind") is going well... so far. This is the class exercise from the sculpting class I took a while back on Doll Street. It is my intention that it be a male doll, but as he will be wearing clothes I am not stressing over anatomical correctness. I am having enough to do just to create this much form.

Accomplishing even just this much has taken me several days work already. I had no idea what a labor intensive process sculpting was! It's an absorbing process though. I set a kitchen timer for myself to make sure that I come away from it in time to cook dinner. He needs to cool now before I start working on his head. I've already managed to damage one of the fingers. Drat!

Doesn't he have the cutest butt though?? I'm pretty proud of the overall shape -- it's only a first attempt after all!

I thought I was being careful, but I still managed to let the clay get a little dirty. Sigh... So many things to pay attention to! I am learning though. I picked up some more tools today at Michaels and I am getting used to using them. Though a few of them I have no idea what they are for!

I'm not sure where this sudden urge to sculpt came from. I haven't liked working with the poly clays in the past. Fimo especially was way too much work to condition and by the time I got to the fun part I was already sick of the process. I am using Premo Sculpey for this guy and it works up fairly quickly.

While I was waiting for the little dude to bake, I dug out some of my old push molds and made this "green woman" head. I wish the photo was a little clearer -- it's much prettier in reality. I think I will use it to make one of the pin dolls I will be sending to a swap on Doll Street. I just need to decide what to embellish the bottom with.

I had a lot of fun experimenting using some of the techniques I have gleaned from CForiginals. I love her work. It's so lively! She's got a book coming out in November with more detailed instructions for one of her dragons. I have it on pre-order and I can't wait for it to come.

There has been so much going on here this past week with the farm and the family. The corn harvest continues after having been interrupted by rain. The high school had its Homecoming festivities last week. Both of the girls went to the dance, and Alice had her first date. They have been talking and talking about it for days, so I think it is safe to assume that they had a good time. I was actually a little jealous -- I want to go dancing too!

On the other hand, I'd rather stay home and play with my clay and my yarn and all the other cool things I can't keep my hands out of than go back to high school.

I've got one more project to share. Darn -- I need to learn how to get these ultra close up photos of small projects into better focus. Argh! At any rate, this is another pin doll for the swap. I need to do just a little more beading on her yet. This one is going to be hard to part with.

I'm not sure about the dangling crystal over her forehead yet. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I just think it's too out of scale. Hmmm...

No comments: